Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:17 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Cost of barbecue
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:04 pm 
BBQ Ambassador

Ok this is a rant.

I am well aware of the time cost and effort that goes into making good barbecue.

But I think some of these places are getting a little carried away with what they charge for this shit... lets face it, barbecue was for peasants back in the day and just "food for the people" generally speaking. Taking secondary cuts and cooking them down to something enjoyable.

But I noticed a post in one of my IG feeds (that shall remain nameless) $15 for 100 grams of brisket! :o

This is over 10 times the cost of the raw product, who the fuck are these people kidding? General rule for restaurants has been 3 times the cost to get your sell price, and, well barbecue is a little special, yes. It needs peoples time so double that to 6 times and were still talking about a meal that the common man can access. When you see barbecue for double digits per 100g that is kinda where I tap out and say fuck this lets go to Rockpool instead.

I guess the point here is if we want this stuff to be around for a long time and for people to be accomodating to it, it should be true to its roots and accessible to the common man... or else people are going to say fuck those hipster bbq fuck wits, lets go to Footscray and get a bowl of Pho for $9 they can shove 100 grams of beef up their ass! Low & Slow bbq will just be "one of those has been food trends" if that shit continues...

Discuss and yell, rant rave.. its all good. :twisted:

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

Post subject: Re: Cost of barbecue
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:46 pm 

Couldn't agree more mate. And usually the more expensive it is, the worse the product is. Too many times I've been and got some brisket or pulled pork and its been fairly expensive, and its been dry as a dead dingos dong and smothered in sauce to try and cover that up. Just not good enough!

Plus, half the time everyone says mines better! So why even bother if I can do it at a fraction of the price.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

I know that a place that i regurlaly eat at its $22 for 1/2 pound (230 grams) and they regurlaly give you 250-300 grams.
Thats as little as $7.50 for 100 grams

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:17 pm 

Hmmm, it's a bit of a tricky one isnt it??

There are so many factors that go into producing good BBQ, least of all time and effort

Once you factor in all the costs involved from wages, rent to toothpicks I wonder why any sane person would even consider trying to make a buck selling BBQ. It's not like you can take another box of dippy dogs out of the freezer and tell people there will be a five minute wait

I'm sure these people have done their market research and identified their key demographic and realized that those sort of prices are what the market can bear. If not they will be out of business in six weeks

Which will probably be for the best. Who the hell wants to be involved in BBQ when $15 for 100gm becomes acceptable or hang around the gormless gits in their finest frippery who are willing to pay that much

We are through the looking glass people. It is time to bring some of that early '80's Aussie yobbo to low and slow BBQ. A beer in one hand and a pack of Winnie Blues in the other. I wanna see flannos with their sleeves rolled up worn over black jumpers, Black Levis and RIPPLES, DAMMIT!!

Cardigan wearing douchebags with beards need not apply

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:20 pm 

Too right ...

One BBQ joint in Melbourne's website currently shows brisket for $13/100g or $23/200g - 5 x $23 = $115kg, and they're charging $14/100g or $26/200g for chicken - that's right, chicken for $130 kilogram. Everything meaty is at least $100kg on their menu. Another quotes their prices per pound, which I believe is against trading laws because retailers are supposed to advertise in prices kilograms to avoid confusing the consumer with outdated weights and measures ... $38 per pound for brisket ... stick pounds into your metric converter and it's about $80/ kilogram. Of course, differing qualities of meat require differing prices, which could dictate which joint you go to for you meal.

What pisses me off the most is the charging of $10 for a can of beer (that's RRP $4) to go with it!

> Who the fuck are these people kidding?

The many people who fill their restaurants each and every time I've been into one of them don't seem to mind, I'd visit more often if the prices were more affordable. Good luck to the retailers, one day the bubble will burst and this style of food will become a commodity like Chinese, Vietnamese, Pizza, Fish 'n' Chips, etc so they may as well make a killing while they can.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:56 pm 
BBQ Ambassador

Jars wrote:
Couldn't agree more mate. And usually the more expensive it is, the worse the product is. Too many times I've been and got some brisket or pulled pork and its been fairly expensive, and its been dry as a dead dingos dong and smothered in sauce to try and cover that up. Just not good enough!

Plus, half the time everyone says mines better! So why even bother if I can do it at a fraction of the price.

The whole I cook better at home is another argument to bring to the table isn't it jars? :lol:

Beaver wrote:
I know that a place that i regurlaly eat at its $22 for 1/2 pound (230 grams) and they regurlaly give you 250-300 grams.
Thats as little as $7.50 for 100 grams

See $7.50 a 100 grams is yes a little pricey if you do the per kg math, but its at the higher end of my totally reasonable scale, need more bbq vendors like that.

TheCalyxOfIsis wrote:
Hmmm, it's a bit of a tricky one isnt it??

There are so many factors that go into producing good BBQ, least of all time and effort

Once you factor in all the costs involved from wages, rent to toothpicks I wonder why any sane person would even consider trying to make a buck selling BBQ. It's not like you can take another box of dippy dogs out of the freezer and tell people there will be a five minute wait

I'm sure these people have done their market research and identified their key demographic and realized that those sort of prices are what the market can bear. If not they will be out of business in six weeks

Which will probably be for the best. Who the hell wants to be involved in BBQ when $15 for 100gm becomes acceptable or hang around the gormless gits in their finest frippery who are willing to pay that much

We are through the looking glass people. It is time to bring some of that early '80's Aussie yobbo to low and slow BBQ. A beer in one hand and a pack of Winnie Blues in the other. I wanna see flannos with their sleeves rolled up worn over black jumpers, Black Levis and RIPPLES, DAMMIT!!

Cardigan wearing douchebags with beards need not apply

It is a little tricky.. indeed, I would argue that compared to a traditional "restaurant" that a lot of these bbq "joints" do not have nowhere near the amount of upfront capital costs of a good restaurant.

When are you applying for Prime Minister by the way? It's long overdue!

the notion of bringing some 80's Aussie Yobbo to Low & Slow is definitely a good one.

Gary wrote:
Too right ...

One BBQ joint in Melbourne's website currently shows brisket for $13/100g or $23/200g - 5 x $23 = $115kg, and they're charging $14/100g or $26/200g for chicken - that's right, chicken for $130 kilogram. Everything meaty is at least $100kg on their menu. Another quotes their prices per pound, which I believe is against trading laws because retailers are supposed to advertise in prices kilograms to avoid confusing the consumer with outdated weights and measures ... $38 per pound for brisket ... stick pounds into your metric converter and it's about $80/ kilogram. Of course, differing qualities of meat require differing prices, which could dictate which joint you go to for you meal.

What pisses me off the most is the charging of $10 for a can of beer (that's RRP $4) to go with it!

> Who the fuck are these people kidding?

The many people who fill their restaurants each and every time I've been into one of them don't seem to mind, I'd visit more often if the prices were more affordable. Good luck to the retailers, one day the bubble will burst and this style of food will become a commodity like Chinese, Vietnamese, Pizza, Fish 'n' Chips, etc so they may as well make a killing while they can.

If your selling product by weight then the scales need to be trade certified on an annual basis. ^^ Not sure how it works with units of measure though.... can't remember the last time I put petrol in the car by the Gallon though this side of the pond!

I agree with you Gary... $130 a kilo for chicken is a fucking disgrace.

I'd hate to see it become a commodity like you say... we need to remember the certain romance that goes with it, but can deal without unscrupulous bastards cashing in on it.

I just want to make a comparison here

This is Jazz City's BBQ prices, he's in Surry Hills (realestate doesn't get much more expensive than this place) Sydney with a nice restaurant and cooks some damn good bbq.

Beef Brisket | 8
Pork Ribs | 8
Beef Short Ribs | 5
Pulled Pork | 8
Sausage | 5 each

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:00 pm 
Site Admin

Lol gary, the pounds guys are ironbark.
They basically say to the customer its 250grams of meat and more often than not give more than that.

But yes, while i hate imperial i tend to like it ONLY when talking bbq because i know/follow bbq recipes written by americans.

The servers just make sure they serve at or above 250 grams which is more than what is advertised.

- 3rd Lamb
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Also, to add to that i dare say that almost every bbq resturant is breaking one rule or another.

- 3rd Lamb
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:44 pm 

Has anyone ever weighed a brisket prior to and then after a cook?
I ask because my butcher mentioned the weight loss and I must do it next time.
Those prices sound bloody steep, make me glad I cook most of what we want to eat!

1st-Beef brisket

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

buccaneer wrote:
Has anyone ever weighed a brisket prior to and then after a cook?
I ask because my butcher mentioned the weight loss and I must do it next time.
Those prices sound bloody steep, make me glad I cook most of what we want to eat!

yea, about 30-40% loss

- 3rd Lamb
- 2nd Chicken