Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:53 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Recommend me a gas BBQ?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:43 pm 

Firstly, I prefer to cook over Charcoal/wood and do so every time I have the opportunity. However there are times when a gas BBQ is ideal and faster, I can't be bothered lighting charcoal at 7am to cook bacon and eggs.

I'm in need of a new gas BBQ, a 4 burner would do but would like a wok burner too (for lighting charcoal). Does anyone have brands/model to recommend or avoid?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

Theres not many here who would recommend a gas bbq other than weber and when you are talking webers with a side burner you are in the 4000-5000 range.

Personally i would say get a weber q series. If its just for quick cooks for yourself then you cant go past the 1200.

Suppliment it with a little $12 camp cooker for lighting charcoal because thats the only thing a side burner gets used for

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:17 am 
Thank God I'm not a Moderator/Admin anymore

Personally I don't recommend using the so called wok/side burners on most Gas BBQs for lighting charcoal in a chimney because once the bottom of the charcoal gets hot, it throws down a lot of heat and can melt stuff including the trivet that holds stuff off the burner and the burner it'self.

It light be ok if you take it off once the bottom layer is lit but it doesn't take too long for it to get too hot or if you forget about it for 20 minutes.

I always light my charcoal chimney on the charcoal grate of the kettle...I rarely use the baskets...just pour it on one side and put a pan on the other.

I'm with Beaver....for a quick zap up dinner...you just can't go past a baby Q1200 with a cast iron sizzle plate....worth it's weight in Gold....and it's portable to take with you camping/picnics etc.

Cheers

Davo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:27 am 

Having only just recently retired my old 4 burner BBQ and purchased a Weber Q I completely agree with comments above. Can't go wrong

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:47 am 

Santo wrote:
Having only just recently retired my old 4 burner BBQ and purchased a Weber Q I completely agree with comments above. Can't go wrong

I agree with the weber Q I have the family Q it is a great bbq, we have used it for a few years now 1-3 times per week.....I need to add the egg/bacon plate at some stage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:49 am 

Hmm, a Weber q was on my radar but I wasn't too impressed with the build quality. I'll give them another look. The camping use is a big plus. Though I can see myself needing to cook for +12 people at times (big family).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:29 am 
Thank God I'm not a Moderator/Admin anymore

dpb wrote:
Hmm, a Weber q was on my radar but I wasn't too impressed with the build quality. I'll give them another look. The camping use is a big plus. Though I can see myself needing to cook for +12 people at times (big family).

In that case, a Q2200 is also portable with a lot more cooking space and will feed that many.
Get a sizzle hotplate for it rather than those oissy little brekkie plates as they are easier to remove from the bbq when yyou're through with using it.
Don't be worried with the quality of the Weber Q's, i'm pretty rough with mine and it takes it in it's stride. Also those plastic tables that people get worked up about are much stronger than you think.
ii've never had one snap yet.
I've had all 3 sizes...the baby 100 series, 200 series and now the family Q and love it.
They have a 5 yr warranty and it's definatly warranted by Weber Australia who stand behind their product 100%.

Ya just can't go wrong!!

Cheers

Davo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:02 am 
Site Admin

dpb wrote:

if you are cooking for 12+ thats where the charcoal comes in to play

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:33 pm 

Gunna jump on the band wagon here mate I have a weber Q that I have had for a few years and I have never had a better barby I have recently bought a yoder but will never get rid of my weber don't know where you are located but I have a 5 burner with a wok side burner I am in Newcastle needs a bit of tlc but you can have it if you want or if anyone in newy area wants a bbq I have one cost me 1500 but sitten down back yard lookin for a new home

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:42 pm 

OK. You have convinced me. Here is my Weber Q2200, bought and assembled. Now I just need to fill up the gas bottle...

Thanks for all the quick replies, very helpful.