Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:39 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:08 pm 
GrillPro / Yoder

I couldn't find this anywhere on here, so thought I would post up the photos of Andy Groneman's Australia Visit in Feb 2013

For those of you who haven't read, we ( Grill Pro ) Flew out Andy Groneman from the USA for the Melbourne BBQ Festival as well as the week before.

Andy is a 20 times Grand Champion BBQ Pit Master & Over 20 time Reserve Grand Champion from KANSAS in the US.

Friday night - Pork Ribs
Membrane removed & fat trimmed

A thin layer of mustard & seasoned

Time to wrap
Sorry there are no photos of the finished Ribs, it was late & dark.

Lunch Saturday - Flank Steak in soft Tortilla with grilled onion & peppers.

Trimming the Coorong Angus Flank Steak ( from Meatman )

Marinating with Worcester, Soy, Olive Oil, Lime Juice & Salt and Pepper.

Seasoning with "Mad Hunky" General Purpose Rub

Yoder YS640 set to 550F

The smell is Amazing!

Sliced thinly across the grain

Finished result, what a gorgeous tasty lunch wrap.

Saturday Night - Spatchcocked Turkey, Pig Candy & Scallops on Cauliflower Pure

Turkey Spatchcocked ready to go into the Yoder at 300F

Trimming up the bacon

Bacon sprinkled with "Cattleman's Grill" - 8 Second Ride Seasoning & then brown sugar.

Forum Members Master Class Afternoon with Andy at Stylish House & Garden in Kallista VIC

We thought what a great way to give something back to the members of the Forum, and invite them to a completely free afternoon with Andy cooking & teaching. This afternoon was a huge success with a whole heap of Forum members attending, some from as far away as Adelaide & Sydney. Bob Hart also attended.

All set up ready for the first members soon to arrive...

Andy will be cooking Pulled Pork & Pulled Lamb, Brisket, Ham, Hot Whang Chicken Wings, Scotch Fillets with Whiskey Peppercorn dipping sauce and Mango JalapeƱo Planked Salmon!!!

Andy will also show how to correctly trim up a brisket & discuss slow cooking techniques as well as showcasing direct & indirect grilling on the Yoders.

Andy will also be using an aray of US products that we are starting to import into Australia including, Mad Hunky Brand Mest Seasonings, Smoke On Wheels Marinades & Injections, Blues Hog range of sauces and other spices & rubs.

What a menu line up , forum members are in for a treat indeed!

Shooter03 with Andy

Here are a few photos taken by Shooter03:

Andy preparing the ceder planked salmon
That salmon was freaking amazing!!

Here he is pulling the lamb apart

Preparing the MeatMans brisket

And giving it a injection

Here's a piece of one that was prepared earlier

And just a panoramic of the set up

Some photos taken by Yakabot:

Some Scotch Fillets sizzling away on the Grill Grates.

One of the Yoders with tasty meaty treats.

Post & photos by Gumb:
Quote:
I just want to add my thanks especially to Dave, Andy G and Andy (host) - (the place was full of Andys !) and all the guys who set this up for us and gave so much advice and readily answered questions. It was a pleasure to meet a lot of you forum guys as well. And to top it off, Bob Hart turns up too!

A big learning experience and I was super impressed with the Yoders. Everything from low and slow to high sear on the steaks

Looking forward to next weekend but for tonight...no more meat. :D :D I am absolutely stuffed full of pork, scotch, brisket, salmon , chicken wings and even a bit of salad. So many rubs, sauces and flavours, it was certainly a FULL day. :D

I hit the yogurt and 2 fruits for dinner. :shock:

I got some pics off the iphone so here ya go.....

Salmon......Bob Hart said even wombat would taste good under that marinade ! :)

Richard Gunner ( Meatman's ) visit to meet with Andy & taking him to a full carcase butcher in Melbourne

Today we visited a wholesale Meat facility in Melbourne ( organized by Richard / Meatman ) , we took down a Yoder YS640 which we fired up & Cooked pork & lamb ribs as well as some steaks, here are a few photos ...

Andy showed how to cut up a shoulder to obtain the same cuts as in the US.

It was an awesome day & we all enjoyed it so much.

This morning greeted us at 5am & a trip into Melbourne from the Kallista Hills so that Andy could be interviewed by Red Symons on ABC 774

Red is a nice bloke & it was a good interview.

Andy was showing us some photos today of his house in Kansas City in the US.

Back home they have had 26" ( 650mm ) of snow since he landed in Melbourne on Friday.

There is his Yoder YS1320 on Orange comp cart underneath all that snow .... ( he said if anyone wants to know if Yoder Pellet Grills can handle rain, show them this pic :D )

Beaver wrote:
some say, Andy sleeps standing up, they say he does this to think like the meat and gain that competitive edge.

I caught him this afternoon Beaver

Redheads Barbecue Festival & BBQ Competition in Melbourne
( Competition Rules were set by Graeme the organiser & NOT by an BBQ Association as wrongly speculated since the event to self promote )

Andy checking out the Yoder Kingman's arrival ......over half a Ton of Kansas Steel "V" pine timber pallet - Yoder 1 / Pallet 0

https://www.facebook.com/GrillProAU

Last edited by Grill Pro Australia on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:46 pm 

Man that looked like a good time for everyone involved. Great job bringing Andy over to teach people. The love of BBQ first hand. Keep up the good work mate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:14 am 
BBQ Ambassador

I was fortunate enough to attend the Forum Members Master Class afternoon last year and I videoed a lot of the sessions - if you're lucky, you can see my rude head and camera in one of the shots Dave posted. :D

Some of the things I filmed included Andy trimming, prepping, cooking and serving the Pork and Brisket, plus the salmon, the wings and other little hints and tips along the way. I think I also got footage of Beaver's 'copter! (That's not as disgusting as it sounds)

It's only over a year ago so I haven't quite got around to editing the clips yet! :D :oops:

I promise to edit them down to useable sizes and post them when I can.

Of course, I assume that Andy won't mind me publicly posting his competition secrets! ;) :?:

...Twitter: @macturkey101
...KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #78512

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:52 pm 

And I still have my complimentary Yoder beverage holder from the Andy open day. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:08 pm 
BBQ Ambassador

This was the whole reason I joined BBQ forums - I found out about this event the day after it happened.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:56 pm 

I was at Andy's brisket class, it was an awesome session. The guy knows SO much.!

Sent from my GT-I9305T

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:00 pm 
GrillPro / Yoder

yakabot wrote:
And I still have my complimentary Yoder beverage holder from the Andy open day. :)

Awesome Ken!

Cheers, Dave

https://www.facebook.com/GrillProAU

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]