Aussie Pitmasters Forum

Australias Best BBQ Forum
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 11:32 pm

All times are UTC+10:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:26 pm 

Adding a lamb category isn't too much. It wasn't that much of a stretch at Port Macquarie. It was why I asked about lamb to begin with! I like the lamb category. We did well in it last time. If anything, having a fifth category would give more opportunity to teams to place in what is a large investment in time and money, ie. a 2 day competition. Travelling, setting up, consumables, meat, time off work.

Removing or merging one of the established categories would also be counter-intuitive to what the low and slow BBQ scene in Australia seems to be gravitating towards: Ribs, Pork shoulder, chicken, and beef (brisket, ribs, tri-tip, rib fillet). Looking over this and the other forum, those items are what people are cooking, talking about, posting photos, and requesting help in. If all instances of a particular protein being mentioned were tallied, I would hazard a guess and say that pork ribs, pork shoulder, chicken and pork would rank above lamb. At the same time, I'm in wholehearted agreement that lamb needs to be included. It's why I mentioned it!!

Wayne Lohman, the VP and board member of the KCBS, actually said in an email to me "I also believe that lamb should always be included as a competitive meat category in Australia" when we were discussing the current BBQ scene here in Australia.

Removing or merging one of the pork categories, or chicken, would also act as a disincentive to US competitions using events held here in Australia to recruit Australian teams to compete in the US if they so choose to. We're heading over to Tennessee in October to cook at The Jack, and it was the format of the Port Macquarie event, and the inclusion of the KCBS categories of pork, ribs, chicken, and beef, that helped with that selection.

The KCBS 2013 25th Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue international and Canadian criteria rules even say:

Quote:
To be invited to “The Jack”, International teams must have cooked, must have turned-in, and must have been judged in the categories of chicken, pork, and beef.

And
Quote:
In a KCBS sanctioned competition, International teams must have cooked, must have turned-in, and must have been judged in the required four categories (chicken, pork ribs, pork, and beef) to be considered the contest Grand Champion.

I'm not arguing for complete adherence to the US style of low and slow BBQ. Australian BBQ should have it's own identity, and I think that it does. I think that it includes lamb, whether it be lamb ribs, lamb shoulder, or any other cut. All I'm saying is there's merit in keeping the current 4 categories of ribs (pork), pork (shoulder/neck), beef, and chicken.

2014 Jack Daniels World Championship BBQ - 19th/94 overall, 1st/20 international teams
Melbourne 2015 - 3rd place
Port Macquarie 2015 - 1st place

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:21 pm 
BBQ Ambassador

This is a good discussion guys..

For me, I fully understand why 1 of the proteins was dropped for this competition (although I wish it wasnt lamb but more on why later) as each competition needs to be looked at differently especially since the comp scene is still in its infancy. For this one I'd assume that there might be less judges (or at least that might be the expectation) and/or less competitors so reducing the hand in dishes accordingly seems completely justified.

For me though I would have dropped chicken without hesitation. Like Beaver said, lamb is the meat Australia (and NZ) is famous for and I think its really important we uphold that little piece of uniqueness particularly in this BBQ community. Chicken on the other hand, is at least for me, on the very bottom of my favourite BBQ meats and I know I'm not alone. I dont think I have ever met anyone who prefers a smoked chicken over pork ribs, brisket and pork shoulder. Besides that, everyone has already had chicken in many ways already but there are many folk who havnt had a smoked brisket or proper smoked pork shoulder, beef ribs, real pork ribs even. So yeah, I'd scrap chicken if it was up to me

Anyways thats just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:29 am 
BBQ Ambassador

I don't have a problem with cooking 5 categories.... I did so in Port Mac, flying solo too (my help bailed) it gives me something to do other than look after disorderly mates (I won't mention any names) :lol:

Yeah I agree, keep lamb.. it is challenging, I didn't fare as well as I'd like to with it at Port Mac actually I took my biggest hit in that category, but that just gives me something to work on and that's what I like about barbecuing. :D

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

ABA have put a lot of hard work and hundreds of hours into thinking through the format they offer competitions to run.

Taking into consideration
- What the public want
- what the contestants want
- the flow for the contestants
- the logistics for judges
- the logistics for the competition runner
- the requirements and skills needed to compete in an international competition

they have put in all the main categories so that as a country we can grow and compete on ain international scale.
Its easy to nit pick but looking into all the considerations i can say what they have produced is a format that 95%+ of the community can compete in and get behind.

yes, some of us would love to cook lamb and they arent stopping a competition organiser from putting that in as a category however they have kept it out of the "standard" lineup.

I think that possibly having it as a "suggested" category for any comp runner would suffice for the moment and MAYBE over time it could be re-assesed whether its too many categories for a comp or whether it works well and can become a compulsary turn in.

in any case i suppose if we want to see this with the upcoming come it would be best to ask the organiser to include it :)

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:53 pm 

We're planning for Lamb to be a standard for any comp held, judged by the ABA. This is the info we're giving to promoters.

1 Day Event
Two mandatory categories plus an ancillary category of your choosing. If you would like to introduce a category not seen below, please contact us.

Mandatory
• Chicken
• Pork Ribs (Baby Back, Spare or St Louis)

Ancillary Categories
• Beef Ribs
• Side dish
• Seafood
• Mystery Dish/ingredient.
• Chef’s Choice

2 day Event - Three mandatory categories plus two ancillary categories of your choosing. If you would like to introduce a category not seen below, please contact us.

Mandatory
• Pork Ribs (Baby Back, Spare or St Louis)
• Beef (Brisket, Steak, Tri Tip, Cheek or Beef Ribs)
• Lamb

Ancillary Categories
• Pork (Shoulder or Neck)
• Chicken
• Side dish
• Seafood
• Mystery Dish/Ingredient
• Chef’s Choice

It's a work in progress, so although that's where we want to be, we also have to adapt to anyone who is putting their hand up as a promoter and work with them, which is what we have done in this case in Bangalow. So no Lamb in Bangalow, but expect it to be a regular in time.

From reading the comments, it sounds like the above list is about right? I'd value your feedback if you don't think so.

From my point of view, The lamb in Port Mac was unreal! Really underrated for the smoker and sets us apart.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:54 pm 

From talking with the promoter tonight, looks to be about 10 teams, which is so cool!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 am 
BBQ Ambassador

jaybeau wrote:
From talking with the promoter tonight, looks to be about 10 teams, which is so cool!!!

That is cool! :)

Can't wait for it!

Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:50 am 

edgy wrote:
jaybeau wrote:

That is cool! :)

Can't wait for it!

I can't think of any better way to get over jet lag, is there a Marriott in Bangalow :mrgreen:.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:53 am 
Site Admin

not long now gents!!

i hear there are already 10+ pro teams registered!!

- 3rd Lamb
KCBS Melbourne 2016 - 7th/17 Outright
- 2nd Chicken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:41 pm 

Exciting stuff, I'm definitely going to attend. Do spectators have to book tickets or do you pitch up on the day?

Also do grizzled pitmasters mind the occasional stupid question or three from noobs while they are tending their pits?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next